Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Koi and Creativity...


It's been awhile since I've shared any photos of the Koi Boys, in The Pond (see how much they've grown).  They are so big and bright and beautiful... I spent some time this past weekend studying them after having the urge to attempt another Koi watercolor. 


I wasn't satisfied with the one I did in class last year... and it's taken awhile for me to work up the courage to attempt the water... and the fish UNDER water again.  I love how the shadows and reflections of the water show the graceful movement of the fish... oh, to be able to convey that on paper...


I have never thought of myself as a "creative" person... more of a math and science kind of gal here...  But, I have always loved color and texture and scent... and in the past few years, I have loved working with the beautiful variety of yarns... and the interactive magic of watercolor.  I still wouldn't necessarily refer to myself as creative, but I recognize a process of brooding and fertile dormancy before I push out something... a garment or a painting... and I wonder... is that what they call the creative process? 


Whatever it is, I seem to labor on it in my mind long before I see any physical manifestation... Maybe it is the math and science part of myself needing an equation.  LOL!  I am brooding over these fish right now!!  =)


One of my friends, Annette, who does beautiful watercolors (so sorry, she doesn't blog) sent me a link to find these instructional videos by Soon Y. Warren.  Can you say "perfect timing"?  I am so excited to have these to help me figure out the water!  Thank you, Annette!


And, speaking of creativity and art, I was most fortunate to win Catherine Holman's contest for naming her latest painting, Chimney Smoke and Cheery Snow Folk.  Please stop over and say hi to Catherine at Catherine Holman Folk Art.  I know this will become a Christmastime favorite!!  Thank you, Catherine!!

"Ever tried.  Ever failed.  No matter.  Try again.  Fail again.  Fail better." 
~ Samuel Beckett

I hope your creative process is brooding along... or churning out... or starting over...  just as it is meant to be...

blessings ~ tanna

20 comments:

no spring chicken said...

Not creative? Seriously? (rolling eyes and underbreath chuckle :)..

Congrats on the wonderful folk art print. Your name was, well, very creative. Perfect in fact!

Blessings, Debbie

Annette T. said...

Tanna, I have to agree with Debbie in rolling my eyes and chuckling that you don't feel creative. The knit projects you do are pieces of art! Even though I knit I'd never tackle some of the patterns you do.

Thanks for the compliment about my paintings. Water color is certainly a different medium to learn, to say the least. I went and reviewed your first class with Soon, that must have been an exhausting 3 days if you'd never painted before. I saw your finished piece and it is beautiful. That must be so relaxing to have that coi pond in your backyard. I can't wait to see how it inspires you. Happy painting, Annette T

Annette T. said...

Tanna, thanks to you I'm a new follower of Catherine's work. I started out doing tole and decorative art way back in 83, and I love her style. Congratulations to you on winning the snow scene. Annette T

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

The very fact that you are gestating the idea of the water and koi tells me that you are indeed a creative person. It's part of your process.

Some writers do this, too. Sadly I don't, wish I did, I kind of fly by the seat of my pants when I write my stories. Usually what happens to me is I get a phrase in my head or even one word...and then it all takes off from there.

The last painting you showed us of the water and the koi, it was amazing. It looked just like water!

You can be right brain and left brain, don't ever let anyone tell you that you are not both, because you are. You are very creative. I always marvel at the awesome things you create and share with us.

I only wish I were half as creative as you my dear friend. :)

Blessings always

TexWisGirl said...

even if you feel the need to study and turn on the logic part of your brain before you attempt a creation, you are MOST DEFINITELY creative! and talented!

love your koi boys! :)

Christine said...

Your creativity never stops!
The only thing we are alike is, I dream and ponder but it stops there.

Congratulations! That is a really great gift. Love her style.

Deb said...

You are so creative!!! We don't tend to see it in ourselves

From the Kitchen said...

Perhaps the creative don't feel creative?? From your knitting to your painting, I dub you creative!

Best,
Bonnie

Marissa said...

I love it.. just beautiful...

kathy b said...

Tanna

That is the most amazing name for the painting. I LOVE it. You are very creative. THe fish are lovely and always seem sweet to me.

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

I must add to all these comments, that creativity is a phase of the mind. Those that are the most creative do not know it because it is their life and they cannot imagine another way to express their feelings. Creative? Yes! It is who you are and I am truly loving to get to know you. You inspire and that is the greatest gift of creativity of all.

podso said...

Yes I agree that you are creative--amazingly so. Maybe your science and math side plays out with the way you are studying the water and watching how to's before jumping in (which I would do and then regret later--and I didn't mean jumping in the pond.) For some reason this is reminding me of a goldfish we cared for that became fairly large though lacking in gold, and lived to be 37.

I look forward to seeing some of your creativity with this!

Mereknits said...

I would call you not only creative but a true artist.
Hugs,
Meredith

Shug said...

Congrats on your win. Creative thinking in the name! the koi pond is so pretty...I would most definitely enjoy having one...

I'm thinking that you are very talented....and your work is always beautiful...
hugs,
shug

steph said...

you are one of the most creative people I know!!!!!! Just because you plan things out---think things through---doesn't make you less creative! (actually, probably makes you MORE creative!!!!) Can't wait to see the magic you create with those koi!

SouthernHeart said...

You're one of the most creative people ever, Tanna! I love the koi!

Bonnie said...

Your are multi talented for sure. Just photographing them would intimate me. Your photos are great. I am sure your painting would be very nice also. Yes, you are very creative!

Does your husband help with the Koi pond? These precious fish are expensive.

Hope your week is extra special.

Catherine Holman said...

Love your koi pond Tanna and thanks for sharing my print with your readers. You are a very talented lady indeed and I love the creative name you came up with for my painting!

Catherine said...

Dear Tanna, This is a very inspiring post. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

Judy S. said...

Lucky you! I love the snowmen picture! How do you keep critters like raccoons away from your koi?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Numbers 6:24-26

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.